Sliders with Caramelized Onions and Cheddar
1 medium red onion, halved, then sliced into 1/4-inch slices
3 tbsp olive oil
about 1 tbsp brown sugar
3 Dutch Crunch rolls, split lengthwise
about 6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature for easy spreading
1 pound high-quality ground beef
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 large shallot (about 1/3 cup), finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
12 thin slices of cheddar
1. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add the onions, brown sugar, salt and pepper and stir with a spatula to combine. Cook about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, making sure not to burn onions. Cook until onions are well-caramelized.
2. Preheat broiler and place rack in center of oven. Spread about 1 tbsp of butter on each half of each Dutch Crunch roll. Place the rolls on a baking sheet, butter-side-up, and toast until golden, about 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully, they toast fast!
3. In a medium bowl, combine the beef with the Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, and shallot. Season with salt and pepper. Divide into 6 equal patties.
4. Heat remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the sliders for 3 minutes on the first side. Flip sliders, top with 2 slices of cheese each and cook another 2-3 minutes.
5. Using a serrated knife, cut each roll in half crosswise, so that each roll makes 2 buns. Place slider patties on bottom bun, then top with caramelized onions and bun top. Serve warm.
Makes 6 sliders.
Serves 2-4 people.
It is OK to email this member (but you must sign in first).