Fried Green Olives Stuffed w/ Smoked Mozarella
Fried Olives, a great Italian appetizer
Note: I first had fried olives in Milan, Italy. I've craved them ever since! Make sure to really coat the olives in the breadcrumbs before frying them. And try to stuff as much cheese as you can in the inside!
- 2 cups medium-large green olives, pitted
- about 1/2 cup smoked mozarella bits (about 1/4"x1/2" in size or as big a piece you can fit into the whole of the olive)
- about 1/2 cup flour
- about 1/2 cup milk
- about 1 cup fine breadcrumbs or Panko (I'd recommend 2 pieces of white sandwich bread ground finely in the mini-food processor)
- 1 toothpick
- oil for frying
- Heat oil in a fryer or a large saucepan with about 3 inches of oil to 370 degrees.
- Stuff each olive with a piece of mozarella.
- Place flour, milk and breadcrumbs in 3 seperate small bowls.
- Using a toothpick, coat olive in flour. Tap off the excess flour. Dip olive in the milk. Then, coat olive thoroughly in the breadcrumbs. Set on a plate and repeat for remaining olives.
- Dip a flat sieve in the hot oil so that the breadcrumbs won't stick to it. Transfer about 1/3 of the olives to the hot oil using the sieve and fry for about 30-45 seconds. Drain on a plate covered with a paper towel. Repeat for remaining olives. Serve hot.
- Serves 4.
It is OK to email this member (but you must sign in first).